It was a pretty sturdy binder, made from chipboard. Included were also the page dividers and a handful of poly sleeves- not a bad deal for $2.50 each!
The first thing I did was lightly sand the cover (inside and out) and then paint with Tim Holtz distress crackle paint. THIS was not a success. As soon as it began to dry (and it was looking mighty cool with all those beautiful cracks) the paint began to flake off! My friends laughed at me and gave me a sanding block to began another round of sanding. This time I really, really took the finish off- paint and all. Once again I painted using the crackle paint. It stuck in most places but still had a few areas that just wouldn't let the paint adhere. I decided that was a problem for later since I was in a real hurry to get some paper glued on to see what it was going to look like!
It turned out that the Tim Holtz paint daubers stuck like glue to the sanded/painted/sanded/painted surface just fine! I used it to cover any bad spots and it ended up with a nicely shabby appearance that worked great for me.
I covered the inside covers with vintage sheet music. The dividers inside became pocket/dividers with a few extra strips of paper. It was a great way to use up lots of scraps that I'd saved from other projects.
A vintage bird image from The Graphics Fairy, some platinum Stickles, a giant Melissa Frances bingo card, stamped 'tickets' from Tim Holtz and more paper scraps finished off the front cover. The fortune I pulled from my cookie- the night I was working on this- was perfect!